Save girls, save the girl child, is a campaign in India to end the gender-selective abortion of female foetus, which has skewed the population towards a significant under-representation of girls in some Indian states. The “Beti Bachao” campaign is supported by human rights groups, non-governmental organizations, and state local government in India. The act has also gained pace at international level.
Sex-selective abortion or female foeticide has led to a sharp drop in the ratio of girls born in contrast to boy infants in some states in India. Ultrasound technology has made it possible for pregnant women and their families to learn the gender of a foetus early in a pregnancy. Discrimination against girl infants, for several reasons, has combined with the technology to result in a rise in abortions of foetuses identified as female during ultrasonic testing.
The trend was first noticed when results of the 1991 national census were released, and it was confirmed to be a worsening problem when results of the 2001 national census were released. The reduction in the female population of certain Indian states continues to worsen, as results of the 2011 national census have shown. It has been observed that the trend is most pronounced in relatively prosperous regions of India. The dowry system in India is often blamed; the expectation that a large dowry must be provided for daughters in order for them to marry is frequently cited as a major cause for the problem. Pressure for parents to provide large dowries for their daughters is most intense in prosperous states where high standards of living, and modern consumerism, are more prevalent in Indian society.
Rates of female foeticide in Madhya Pradesh are increasing; the rate of live births was 836 girls per 1000 boys in 2001, which dropped to 1012 by 2011. It is expected that if this trend continues, by 2021 the number of girls will drop below 900 per 1000 boys.
How to save girl child?
1. Women empowerment: The women need to be empowered. A woman has every right to give birth to a baby. The girl child is a blessing of God. Just give her a chance, and she will make you proud with her achievements.
2. Awareness: Every citizen of civilized society should be made aware of the fact that a girl child is as important as a boy child. If she gets the right opportunity, she can provide economic support to the family and help them to come out of poverty level.
3. Education: Education raises the consciousness of a person. The mental pattern in favor of society should be transformed. This is the time for historic changes in the society.
How to save girl child after her birth?
1. The girl child is not only unsafe inside her mother’s womb. Even after her birth, she has to face various hardships because of gender inequality. We must save the girl child after her birth as well.
2. We all agree that girls’ education is very important. The girls should get a safe and comfortable environment at schools.
3. The girl should get equal access to the educational resources of the school.
3. There should be separate toilets for girl-children at schools.
4. There is need for a shift in mental attitude in favor of equality between boys and girls.
5. The family members of the girl child should come forward to protect her rights, both within and outside her home.
6. She should never be engaged as a child labor.
The physical abuse and harassment of girl child should be dealt strictly. The guilty should be punished as per the law.